According to the latest figures provided by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, three out of four Americans have a primary care physician (PCP) as their first point of contact for their healthcare needs.
That should come as no surprise, since primary care offers patients many benefits, not the least of which is easy access to medical care that is focused on the whole patient – as opposed to a specific illness or disease – and emphasizes preventive care, health maintenance, counseling, and patient education as a means of improving health and wellbeing.
However, primary care offers more than just greater access to medical services and improved quality of health care. Whether provided by a family physician, an internal medicine doctor, a nurse practitioner, or certain specialists, primary care has many other advantages that are worth noting, too.
The Primary Care Difference
With a focus on preventive health, primary care provides better medical outcomes for patients, which results in fewer hospitalizations and less need for secondary healthcare services. As a result, it reduces the financial burden on both the public health system and patients.
Primary care also provides:
- Early diagnosis and intervention that help prevent serious health conditions from developing
- Improved relationships between patients and their doctors
- Continuity of service from a PCP who is well aware of your medical history
- A reduced need for care from a specialist
Most of all, primary care offers patients comprehensive services for acute and chronic medical conditions ranging from common ailments (such as colds, the flu, coughs, earaches, headaches, and migraines) to more serious problems (such as heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, COPD, infections, and men’s and women’s health issues). What’s more, clinical research shows that adults with primary care are far more likely to receive high-value care, such as mammography and colorectal and other life-saving cancer screenings.
This is why it is important to consider your individual health needs and condition when choosing a primary care physician – especially if you have a chronic illness or complicated medical condition. You’ll benefit most from a primary team that is dedicated to all aspects of your health. If you are healthy, establishing a long-term relationship with the right PCP can be just as beneficial in helping you meet your healthcare goals.
Primary Care in the Bronx, New York
At Starling Diagnostics, we not only offer the most advanced imaging services – including 3D mammograms, DEXA bone density scans, and ultrasound – but also a comprehensive array of primary healthcare services.
Our board-certified doctors treat patients with a wide range of acute and chronic conditions and provide preventive services that include:
- Annual physical exams
- Screening and diagnostic tests, such as breast and pelvic exams, mammograms, electrocardiogram (EKG), Pap smears, prostate exams, and pulmonary function (lung) exam
- Vaccinations, including chickenpox, flu, hepatitis, human papillomavirus (HPV), MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella), meningitis, pneumonia, shingles, and Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis)
- Management of chronic conditions