Breast cancer is the most common type of cancer in women. It develops when abnormal cells in the breast begin to divide uncontrollably, resulting in the formation of a tumor, which may or may not cause pain.
Over 40,000 women die each year in the United States due to breast cancer, most of whom are over the age of 50. To improve health outcomes, women should familiarize themselves with their breasts and learn to recognize the symptoms of breast cancer. Here, we will talk about the most common symptoms of breast cancer and where you can go in The Bronx for breast cancer diagnostics and health screenings.
What Are The Symptoms of Breast Cancer?
Breast cancer can occur at any age. Even women in their teens and 20s can be diagnosed with the disease. The most common symptoms of breast cancer are:
- A lump in the breast: This is usually the first symptom of breast cancer that women notice. The lump may be small, hard, and painless, or it may be large, soft, and painful. A lot of women have naturally dense or lumpy breasts, and a lump is not always breast cancer.
- Change in breast size and shape: As the tumor grows, it can cause your affected breast to become bigger or take on a new shape.
- Changes in the skin of the breast: This can include changes in color (redness or scaliness), texture (thickening), or shape (dimpling). When cancer cells block the lymph vessels, it can lead to notable skin changes. Inflammatory breast cancer usually causes breast skin to change.
- Nipple discharge: This can range from clear fluid to blood-tinged discharge from one or both nipples. Ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS), an early form of breast cancer, or Paget’s disease usually causes nipple discharge.
- Changes in the position of the nipple: If your nipple becomes inverted, it could be a sign of breast cancer, which causes cancer to attack the milk duct behind the nipple.
The three most common symptoms of breast cancer are a lump in the breast, changes in the size or shape of the breast, and discharge from the nipple. If you have any of the above symptoms, it is important to be evaluated by a doctor as soon as possible. Breast cancer, when detected in its early stages, is highly treatable. Not only will your treatment options be less aggressive if your breast cancer is caught early, but you are also likely to have better outcomes.
Breast Cancer Diagnostics and Screening in The Bronx, NY
At Starling Diagnostics, we are proud to offer a wide range of cutting-edge diagnostic testing procedures to women. We are known in our community for providing exceptional and compassionate women’s specialty healthcare, which includes counseling, preventive services, and advanced diagnostics. Many of our providers are women, and our clinic is a safe space for women. To schedule an appointment with us, call our office today at (718) 319-1610 or use our convenient online request form.