A general practice physician cares for the health and well-being of patients of all ages, from birth through senior years. Doing more than simply ordering tests and writing prescriptions, the general practice physician develops a plan of preventive care and management for acute and chronic conditions.
Let’s talk about the services offered by general practice and where you can go for outstanding preventive care in The Bronx, NY.
Acute and Chronic Injury and Disease Management
If you have an upper respiratory infection, a sprained ankle, or a problem controlling your asthma, your general physician is the person to see for expert, compassionate assistance.This doctor has the examination and symptom review skills to make an accurate diagnosis and also can do on-the-spot evaluation for a wide range of illnesses, including:
- Urinary tract infection
- Acid reflux
- Skin problems, such as acne, eczema, and psoriasis
- Depression, anxiety, and other mental health concerns
Your primary care physician understands your medical history and your treatment preferences. He or she will fine-tune your care plan to ensure your prescription medications, therapies (such as physical therapy), and at-home care strategies work toward your best health now and in the future.
Preventive Care Watches Over Your Long-term Health
The annual wellness examination is the cornerstone of preventive care with your general practice physician. A head-to-toe review of your body systems, this check-up typically includes:
- Assessment of vital signs and BMI (body mass index)
- Examination of ear, nose, throat, abdomen, and reflexes
- Blood work to check thyroid function, glucose, and cholesterol levels, complete blood count, and more
- Ordering of cancer check-ups as appropriate to age and gender (colonoscopy, prostate exams, mammograms, and others)
- Bone density scans for post-menopausal women
- Referral for specialty care as needed (mental health professionals, bone and joint specialists, neurologists, cardiologists, gastroenterologists, urologists, and others as needed)
- Immunizations, such as the flu and pneumonia shots, as needed
Together, you and your general practice doctor will discuss your health concerns and the goals you wish to achieve. Examples include:
- Losing weight
- Developing an exercise regimen
- Smoking or alcohol cessation
- Identifying risk factors for disease and injury (related to heredity, work environment, age, or lifestyle)
- Stress reduction
Your annual exam is a great time to ask questions and develop the strategies you need to attain and maintain your best possible health for your entire life span. Whether you are a teen, adult, middle-aged, or senior, your life and health change, and your general practitioner acts as your partner in wellness.
Prescriptions and Imaging Services
Your general practice doctor can advise you on over-the-counter and home treatments for your particular health condition. He or she also can talk with you about your prescription medications, when and how to take them, and any side effects you could experience. The doctor will order refills for your drugs as well as any imaging or other assessments you may require for diagnostic purposes or to track the progression of a disease or condition.
General practice also offers several imaging services, including:
- Three-D mammography
- Ultrasound testing
- DEXA scans for bone density
- Digital X-rays, MRIs, and CT scans
Keeping Your Medical Record
Your medical record, or chart, contains your valuable health information. Your primary care doctors make it available via your patient portal and to specialty healthcare providers as needed. Also, they deliver documentation for sports, school, work, and daycare participation, maintaining your confidentiality and privacy regarding your health status and treatments.
General Practice at Starling Diagnostics in The Bronx, NY
If you are looking for a primary care doctor in The Bronx, choose the providers at Starling Diagnostics. We offer comprehensive primary care services,including diagnostic testing, health screenings, annual physicals, state-of-the-art treatments, and chronic disease management – all in a family-friendly, patient-centric environment. We strive to provide a comfortable and positive experience for all our patients.
For any questions or to schedule an appointment with one of our primary care doctors, call our office today at (718) 319-1610 or use our convenient online request form. Our friendly staff looks forward to serving you.