Did you know that the same doctor could remove a suspicious mole, help treat your depression, and assist in planning the timing of your next baby?
Staying healthy is best done with professional help. Everyone needs medical care, whether you have a medical condition or not, and when chronic illnesses strike, you’ll need the guidance of a doctor who can make accurate diagnoses and provide holistic care. This is where a primary care doctor comes in.
Primary care doctors can cover a myriad of health issues. Here’s everything you need to know about them — what they do, how they care for everything, and why you need one.
What Is A Primary Care Doctor?
Primary care doctors are healthcare professionals that help manage your overall, day-to-day health. If you are having a non-emergency medical problem, they’re the first people you consult. They are experts in chronic conditions — such as diabetes, anxiety, and depression — as well as your daily health concerns.
With regular visits to your primary care doctor, they can keep track of your:
- Current health
- Medical history
- Treatment preferences
- Values and beliefs
- Personality and lifestyle
Primary care doctors will consider everything listed above to provide holistic and personalized care. Your primary care doctor will be your partner in caring for your physical and mental health and well-being.
What Are The Different Types Of Primary Care Doctors?
Choosing the right primary care doctor is a crucial step in promoting health and well-being. There are many different types of primary care doctors, such as:
- Family practitioners. They care for your whole family, from newborns to the elderly, regardless of age or gender.
- They care primarily for infants, children, and adolescents.
- They provide care solely for adults, from early adulthood through old age.
- Obstetricians and gynecologists. They focus on women’s health, specifically female reproductive health, and pregnancy. They assist in family planning; prenatal, natal, and postnatal care; birth control, and more.
Some primary care doctors might specialize in specific areas, such as sports medicine, LGBTQ health care, and infertility. Nurse practitioners and physician assistants can provide primary care, too.
How Can A Primary Care Doctor Help You?
You might that think primary care doctors only treat aches, pains, and colds. However, they have a broad field of expertise. They can also:
- Care for most common diseases
- Offer counseling
- Monitor your health for your lifestyle and goals
- Promote health and prevent chronic diseases
Visiting your primary care doctor often allows you to stay in your healthiest form. Because they are equipped with the tools to treat a wide range of conditions, they can help detect, prevent, and manage chronic illnesses, such as hypertension and diabetes.
Primary care is usually less expensive than specialty care if you are paying out of pocket. So, not only are your physical and mental health in tip-top shape but so is your financial health!
Why Should You Get A Primary Care Doctor?
Besides the fact that they can treat virtually everything?
Yes, there are more reasons why you absolutely must get a primary care doctor. Here are other reasons why a primary care doctor is valuable to your health.
- Since you will work closely and long-term with your primary care doctor, they know the intricacies of your health and wellness. This helps personalize your care and saves time since you don’t have to explain your medical history every time you meet them.
- Having a primary care doctor gives you easy access to various health services and expertise.
- Health maintenance. Routine checkups with a primary care doctor help detect health issues earlier and avoid certain health problems, keeping you healthier and happier.
- Early detection. Regular checkups allow your primary care doctor to detect health issues early on when they are most treatable.
- Better communication. When familiar with your primary care doctor, you’ll likely be less stressed and more productive. Communicating effectively is a must in healthcare because it allows you to voice your concerns.
How Can You Find A Primary Care Doctor?
It’s important to find a primary care doctor that fits your criteria, personality, and insurance coverage. Here are some pointers on how to find the right one:
- Ask for recommendations from people you trust, such as friends, family members, or other healthcare professionals.
- Research their qualifications and credentials online.
- Find a doctor that’s covered by your insurance plan.
- Schedule an appointment and ask them questions.
- Consider their location.
- Observe their bedside manner and office environment.
Remember that you’re building a long-term relationship with your primary care doctor. It’s crucial to find someone you’re comfortable and compatible with.
Primary Care Doctor In Bronx, NY
Most people will need healthcare at some point. Primary care doctors save you money, optimize healthcare delivery, and keep you healthy and happy.
Here at Starling Diagnostics, our highly qualified healthcare providers, led by a board-certified internal medicine physician Dr. Newaz Hossain, are committed to helping patients stay on top of their health. They are passionate about helping patients lead full, healthy lives.