Most people know that seeing their primary care doctors for routine wellness exams is a vital part of staying healthy, but many don’t know what their doctors exactly check during these exams.
While the specifics can vary depending on your age, sex, and health history, there are some assessments that are a basic part of every wellness visit. Here is a look at some of the things your doctor will likely be looking for.
Your Five Key Health Numbers
Health numbers help your primary care doctor know your risk for heart disease – one of the leading causes of death among men and women in the United States.
During your wellness exam, your primary care physician (PCP) will likely assess the following:
- Blood pressure – The normal blood pressure level is less than 120/80 mmHg.
- Body mass index (BMI) – BMI is the measurement of the ratio of your weight to your height to estimate the amount of body fat.
- HDL (high-density lipoprotein) cholesterol level – This refers to the amount of good cholesterol in your blood. Having an HDL level below 40 indicates an increased risk for heart attack and stroke.
- Total cholesterol level – This refers to the amount of good and bad cholesterol (low-density lipoprotein) in your blood.
- Blood sugar level – This is the amount of glucose in your blood.
A high blood level (hyperglycemia) is a hallmark of diabetes. People with diabetes are twice as likely to develop heart disease.
Tests Primary Care Physicians Usually Order
If you’re having symptoms of a particular condition, your PCP may order certain tests to pinpoint their cause. There are also other tests that your PCP may require to determine any health issues that may not have obvious symptoms in their early stages. For instance, aside from checking for diabetes and cardiovascular disease, your PCP may also have you undergo tests to check for potential signs of cancer and other health problems, especially if you have risk factors for them.
The following are some of the diagnostic tests and health screenings your PCP may order during your wellness visit:
- Urine test
- Blood test
- Comprehensive metabolic panel (CMP)
- Lipid panel
- Electrocardiogram (EKG)
- Lung function test
- Breast exam
- Pelvic exam
- Prostate exam
Primary Care Doctors Near Me in The Bronx, New York
At Starling Diagnostics, our team of highly qualified healthcare providers is led by a board-certified internal medicine physician – Dr. Newaz Hossain – who has dedicated his career to helping the men and women in his community stay on top of their health.
To see Dr. Hossain for a wellness visit or consultation, call us today at (718) 319-1610 or use our convenient appointment request form.