Are you scheduled for a routine visit to your primary care doctor soon? Or are you experiencing symptoms of an illness? Whatever the case, it pays to prepare for the questions your doctor might ask you, as this is central to ensuring you’ll get the care that you need.
In this blog post, we’ve come up with a list of some of those questions as well as a few tips to help you make the most of your appointment.
Questions to Anticipate from Your Primary Care Doctor
There are many possible questions to anticipate from your doctor during your appointment. Below are some of those:
- What is your chief complaint?
- How often do you experience this particular symptom?
- Can you rate your pain (on a scale of 1-10)?
- Is there anything that aggravates or relieves your symptoms?
- At which specific area do you feel the pain?
- Do your symptoms get worse at certain times?
- Has your condition affected your day-to-day activities?
- Have you had a fever recently?
- What diseases run in your family?
- Have you ever been hospitalized? For what reason?
- Have you ever been diagnosed with a chronic illness?
- Any medical tests you’ve had done?
- Any surgery you’ve had?
- What prescription or over-the-counter medications are you taking currently?
- Do you have any environmental, food, or drug allergy?
- Do you consume alcohol? If so, how often and how much?
- Do you smoke?
- Do you currently use any illicit substances?
- Do you have a past history of substance use?
How to Prepare for Your Appointment
- Gather all of your medical records.
- Make a list of all the medications, herbs, and supplements you are currently taking or had used as well as the names of the doctors you’ve seen or been seeing.
- Take note of your symptoms, particularly what might exacerbate it and when they usually act up.
- Bring a family member with you. This way, you have someone to remind you of what you want to discuss during your appointment.
Primary Care Doctors Near Me in The Bronx, NY
If you are looking for an experienced primary care doctor within The Bronx in New York, consider Dr. Newaz Hossain here at Starling Diagnostics.
A board-certified internal medicine physician, Dr. Hossain focuses on the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of the gamut of health problems affecting adults of all ages. Dr. Hossain constantly empowers our entire team to strive to provide compassionate, personalized care and the best patient experience.